Lives saved thanks to Shropshire fire safety campaign

The lives of 18 Romanian mothers and children were saved by smoke alarms fitted as part of a Shropshire-led campaign to improve fire safety in rural parts of Transylvania. A major fire broke out in a care home in April, caused by a cigarette, but residents managed to escape after the alarm was raised. The home’s manager later praised UK’s Operation Sabre for installing smoke alarms as part of a campaign in rural areas of Romania.

King's College University fire: Building in the Strand evacuated as storeroom goes up in flames!

A university building in central London was evacuated after a fire broke out in a basement storeroom.

About 100 people fled the scene after flames broke out at the Strand campus of King’s College University shortly before 1.35pm on Thursday.

Fire crews from six fire stations were scrambled to the scene.

Six fire engines and 25 crew members were still tackling the blaze more than an hour after the sub-basement store cupboard went up in flames.

Pictures from the scene show fire crews surrounding the building, with hose pipes running from fire engines into the university campus.

Students and staff were warned to avoid the building while the incident was dealt with.

A London Fire Brigade spokeswoman said: “Six fire engines and 35 firefighters and officers have been called to a fire at a university building on Strand.

Swindon fatal house fire started by portable heater

A couple who could not afford central heating died in a house fire started by a portable heater, an inquest heard.
Blaise Alvares and Sharon Soares, who had a baby girl, died following the fire at their Swindon home in November.


The couple shared the house with another family, relying on bio-ethanol heaters to stay warm as they could not afford the central heating bills.
Assistant coroner Nicholas Rheinburg recorded conclusions of accidental death.

Kebab shop owner fined over fire safety breaches

The owner of a kebab shop in Hastings has been ordered to pay fines and costs of £4,811.27 after admitting to two breaches of fire safety rules. The prosecution was brought by East Sussex Fire and Rescue, which uncovered the failings at Erol’s Kebab, owned by Mr Ceyhun Varol. Following this prosecution East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service would like to warn other establishments that failure to comply with a Prohibition Notice is a very serious offence and will be dealt with accordingly.

Erol’s Kebab comprised of a takeaway and small restaurant on the ground-floor, along with a basement which was used for food preparation and storage. Residential accommodation was located on the first, second and third floors.

Former hotel owner jailed over fire safety breaches

A former hotel owner in Sheffield has been handed an 8-month jail sentence after admitting to breaching fire safety rules, reports The Star. Mr Amandeep Sandhu, who owned the Cutlers Hotel, was prosecuted by South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue following an investigation back in 2014. Inspectors found that the hotel at that time did not have a working fire alarm and ordered its closure while safety improvements were made. During a second inspection three days later further fire safety law breaches were discovered.

Jail sentence for landlord over dangerous attic accommodation

A landlord from Wembley who rented out accommodation to a family of five has been handed a suspended jail sentence after London Fire Brigade found numerous fire safety breaches at the property.

Fire chiefs described the crowded house of multiple occupation (HMO) as a ‘potential death trap.’

Mr Jan Ahmed, who was the leaseholder of premises above a barber’s shop, was sentenced at Southwark Crown Court after pleading guilty to ten offences under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.

He was handed 38 days in custody (suspended for six months) and ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work. He was also ordered to pay £2,000 prosecution costs.

Guidance Issued for 2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine

It has been brought to our attention that recent guidance has been issued with regards to the chemical 2,4-DNP (2,4-dinitrophenylhydrazine, technically called 2,4-DNPH).

This substance should be stored in a damp condition. If the substance dries out it can be potentially explosive. The advice being given is to leave the container closed and call the science advisory body CLEAPSS for further advice.

Please follow the links below for further information.

CLEAPSS
Department for Education

 

This has also been featured in national news.

 

Man, 84, dies in house fire in Partick

An 84-year-old man has died following a house fire in Glasgow.


Police and fire crews were called to a property in Crawford Lane in Partick at about 17:15 on Thursday.
The man's body was found inside the house. An 83-year-old woman was taken to hospital and was being treated for smoke inhalation. Her current condition was unknown.


A joint investigation between police and fire services was ongoing to establish the cause of the blaze.
A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "The fire was extinguished and the body of an 84-year-old man was found within.
"An 83-year-old woman was also in the house managed to get out.

Landlord fined after trying to trick safety investigators!

A landlord from High Wycombe has been fined over £18,000 after trying to trick inspectors that she had complied with safety rules. Owner Mrs Nahida Rehman and her accomplice Yasser Khan, conspired to fake a builder’s invoice to show that repair works on the 5-bedroom property under her ownership had been brought up to safety standards.

Earlier this year the council’s private housing team visited the property, and told Mrs Rehman that improvements were needed to meet fire and other health and safety requirements. Among the changes needed to be made were fireproofing the building and installing a fire door.

Pages