A Wirral man has been prosecuted by Merseyside Fire & Rescue Authority (MFRA) after he was found to be storing more than 33kg of display fireworks – piled on the floor of a pub cellar amongst cardboard boxes, electrical equipment and rubbish.
The court also heard that Mr Poston had failed to follow any of the safety measures required under health and safety regulations for storing fireworks, and had been storing the fireworks without a licence.
Mr Poston was sentenced to 26 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months, and ordered to complete 200 hours of unpaid community work and to pay costs amounting to £1,590.
If electrical equipment had started a fire, the fireworks would have become quickly involved due to their close proximity to both the electrical equipment and other combustible materials. The danger of an explosion was so high that the items were seized by the MFRA officers and immediately removed from the premises.
For more information, visit hse.gov.uk/explosives or contact us for expert advice on 0333 0433 833, firstname.lastname@example.org or chat to us via the website.
For professional advice or further information, call us today on: 0333 0433 833